Tuesday 4 October 2011

Zombie horde assembled

I have been assembling these zombies for some time. They are a mix of mantic zombies and ghouls, with a few GW bits thrown in. The scale difference is quite negligible, though it takes a bit of cutting and trimming to get them together. There are around 50 zombies here, though I have recently decided to make it up to 60 and paint them in two batches of 30.

The black bases are plasticard. I am mounting them in large groups with a few odd spares, to give the appearance of a disorganised horde. It's a technique used by historical gamers and it gives a much nicer appearance, as well as being more convenient to transport and game with.

The metal and resin bits are from ebay (of course), a selection of gravestones and monuments to decorate the bases, or to become scenery pieces. I am still not 100% sure how to tackle the bases, I want to move away from the sand and flock routine, which is becoming a bit old.

This overhead shot shows that there is a fair bit of real estate to play with. I don't want to go overboard and cram it with graves and skulls, I like the sense of spacing in between the figures. This picture also shows the more natural groupings, the zombies are bunched together rather than lined up neatly in ranks and files. I have already started to speed paint the first 30, so hopefully I will have my first regiment painted in the near future.

3 comments:

Brian Carlson said...

Nicely done, it does look much more natural. Thanks for the tip!

Laughing Ferret said...

I really like the patches & clumps of zombies. precise ranks is fine for romans or elves, but looks wrong for things like skaven & zombies.

I was always hesitant to try this for warhammer because of removing casualties and changing formations. interested to see how it all turns out.

Nord said...

Casualty removal is fine. If I have calculated it correctly I can get any number between 1 and 30 by shuffling them around. But that assumes they are 5 wide. If any odd situations come up in game I will just use wound markers, as you would on any multi-wound model like ogres or monsters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...