Tuesday 6 August 2013

The Empire Strikes Back?

Now that my Vampire Counts army is starting to shape up, I would like to paint up an opposing army. I know, I am a glutton for punishment, it's not like I don't have other projects on the go, but I tend to go where the muse directs and she's currently heading for Ostermark. I did make a very faltering attempt at an Empire force some time ago (here and here). I also tentatively decided on Ostermark as a theme. But that idea soon withered away, overshadowed by other things. But now I am keen to start it again.

Ostermark lies in the east of the Empire, with the old province of Sylvania on the border. Ostensibly this has been annexed by the Empire, but of course in reality it is still in the grip of the vampire counts. I don't normally bother with narrative background when I am collecting armies, I tend to go with aesthetics. But for some reason I have started to develop a little back story, complete with characters and small scenarios. I guess it's the Oldhammer effect! I do also want to grow the army by playing out skirmish games to determine how the army progresses, that kind of thing, so a more story-driven approach for me this time around.

Of course, I will also be trying to pick up troops as cheaply as possible, through ebay and maybe a forum or two. My first successful foray resulted in 30 handgunners for £7.50, or 25p per figure. These are a mix of the old and the new, which I have chopped up a bit for variety. This photo shows them ready for base coats, they were bought pre-primed but of course the previous owner had not removed all the mould lines. I had to scrape them off and then patch up with paint-on primer, but it should all be fine when the paint goes on proper. They are glued to paper clips as I will be basing them in elements. I have Hail Caesar in mind, so most of the army will be multi-based, but also useable in the odd game of Fantasy Battle. There's a long road ahead, but I look forward to the journey.

1 comment:

Laughing Ferret said...

Another fun project.

Some of my best Warhammer games was in small scenario games of 500pts, working and advancing up to 1,000.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...