Wednesday 2 April 2014

Fantasy adventuring figures

Here's something I noticed on the Lead Adventure forum the other day, a set of four adventurers from Statuesque Miniatures. The first thing I thought when I saw these was not Heroquest, as I suspect most would, but Talisman. I guess that reflects my entry into the world of fantasy gaming, I played Talisman with my brothers and mates for many years in the late 1980s and early 1990s before I attempted anything as complex as a minis game.

One of the interesting things about these sculpts is that they are digital, yet they have a classic, old school look and feel - though to my eyes done with much more refinement and finesse than many a hand sculpted figure. I can understand wanting to recapture the freshness and excitement of early gaming days, though I fail to see why so many hunt down thirty year old sculpts which are often very crude and poorly done, and pay a premium for them to boot. It takes all sorts I guess.

I liked the look of these figures so much I pre-ordered a set at a discount price. It was quite telling that some on the Lead Adventure forum complained about the price - they are £19 plus shipping in the introductory offer. It just goes to show the huge price differential across the different wargaming communities. Four quality fantasy sculpts for less than £20, imagine how ecstatic some sectors of the gaming world would be if prices returned to that level - it would be like going back to the 1990's for them again.

2 comments:

Andrew Rae said...

Thanks for the post and for the order! I'm glad you like the figures and I look forward to seeing what you do with them; I've been a fan of your painting from when I was a member of the Warhammer Forum a few years back.:)

Nord said...

I can't wait to get them, the best thing I have seen for ages! And these days, there are dozens of new minis every week, so that's saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...